Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Who Do You Hate? That's Your Date...

I guess that there really is no justice in this world. I mean, it seems that from what I see, trucking companies really go out of their way to put up a good impression. Put their best foot forward if you will. It also seems that the better looking a company is on the outside, that the more screwed up they are. You see all the shiny equipment and the slogans of true unconditional dedication towards the driver and the driver's family.

How does a person cut through all the garbage when looking for a company to drive for? First and foremost you need to have a plan when you approach that company or call them. Spend two days writing down any and all questions and follow up questions that come to your mind. If you have no idea what to ask, other drivers are a good source of question ideas. Once you have called the company, have your questions written down in front of you. Write down or record the answers as you talk and get all of your questions and answers down. Then, with your hook baited with all of that recruiter talking away about his company being the greatest thing since the enema bag...you set the hook. Tell him or her that everything sounds great on the surface but are they willing to put everything that they just said in writing. If they say that they are not prepared to put anything in writing, just respond with, "certainly you prepare written proposals for your non driving employees". If they will not relent and give you a written employment proposal, do not give them the time of day because they are not worth it. You might have to provide them with an application so they can finalize their proposal to you regarding pay based experience, etc. It is still worth it to get it in writing. If you ask for it in writing and the company sends you a pamphlet with pay quotes and benefits, Keep looking.

I was driving yesterday north on I -65 coming up to northern Indiana to meet another driver and get him home by taking his load when I saw a big Toyota Sequoia SUV pass me on the left. It was all covered with environmental stickers...you know, save the earth, etc. I got to thinking that with all that effort with the stickers and all that, perhaps he could have put them on a Prius and at that rate would be in the area at least of "Trying to Save the Earth".

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those guys that likes to empty my motor oil on the ground because I hate cleaning out my drain pan after oil changes. But really, a Sequoia? I drive a 1974 Dodge pickup with exhaust that is much shorter than the wheel base. It is loud and the added benefit is exhaust that you can see and taste. My truck is ugly, yes, but it will hold 2900 pounds of corn for the corn stove with out even a groan. I went to the dump the other day and I had 1.9 tons of crap in the bed. That is impressive and the fuel mileage...18 miles per gallon. You see, I feel that there is a whole lot of work done by environmentalists that is good. Mr Sequoia however, is clearly missing the point.

My truck was manufactured in America by Americans with American parts. If I broadside you, your airbag will go off and I will have to sweep up some parts of the street and drive home. My truck has a grille that when it hits a bird, opens up and defeathers the bird in the process and the now bald bird rests against my radiator for a slow roast. How efficient is that? And tasty too.

My truck the bird mangler is clearly not fuel efficient. That is why I may only drive it 20 to 30 miles in a month. Only when I have something to haul, do I fire the thing up. I drive my well maintained Ford Festiva or Tempo when I need to get someplace and do so with efficiency. My point? How many of these pseudo earth savers change out their cars every 2 years or so? If they kept and maintained these vehicles longer, there would be a much more significant energy savings when you think about how much energy it takes to build and assemble a new car. If you are going to save the earth, you must look at the bigger picture. Simply putting stickers on a gas hog will not do it alone.

No comments: