Thursday, July 26, 2007

Rain In Beloit


These are pictures of the fields surrounding the Ripley State Line Truck Stop. The bottom photo is of the vineyards in the area and the top is of a pumpkin patch that is directly behind the truck parking area. The truck stop is sort of dumpy but has a good restaurant.

Well, well here I find myself at the Flying J in South Beloit, WI. Usually I am in a god awful hurry and have barely enough time to fuel much less look at the surroundings. There really isn't too much here that doesn't involve trucks, truck stops, and naturally, truckers. I prefer a bit of character for my surroundings thank you.

If it seems that I am a bit negative this morning it is because I am. It is raining. Rain can cleanse the soul. If I were in a grassy meadow with a stream and had a fishing pole in my hand there would be a different feeling associated with the rain. It is just very hard to get jazzed up over the rain in a truck stop with the puddles taking a brown hue from the motor oil and who knows what other substances.

I went in and had a cup of coffee with another Jim Palmer driver and had coffee and some buffet breakfast items. I really hate eating with other truck drivers. I mean, there is the way I have always learned to behave in most situations, which I feel, clearly represents the way I have been raised and what my mannerisms are. When I am with another person, I find myself a critic of their behaviour. What that person sees as a witty statement will embarrass the hell out of me. The other driver had to get going on to Delaware, OH which is where I just came out of.
After I dropped off at Kroger, I was sent to Fredonia, NY to pick up a load for Stevens Point, WI. This is a town that is home to the Point Brewery that makes Point Special Lager beer. One of my favorite beers to smuggle into North Dakota. I have a friend that lives in nearby Marshfield, WI and he can swallow 24 cans at a time. However, Customs has been noticing his rather bloated appearance. I think they are on to us. My wife thinks I am dating a fat, bloated Wisconsinite. It is just about the beer, I promise.
Anyway, I have until midnight to get to the Roundys warehouse. I think I will make it.

No comments: