Friday, January 4, 2008

Wally World

You learn something new every day. The town of Lame Deer, MT has a college in town. The name? Dull Knife. I was on I 90 near Ellsworth AFB and saw for the first time in flight, a B-1 bomber. I had looked at pictures but in flight, they look so graceful. They are long and lean and this pilot was doing touch and go's. Cool.

The funny thing about truck driving to me is the fact that when I leave to go over the road; it seems like in the lives of those I leave behind, I disappear. It is a little bit different now with the modern means of communication, but for he most part, I disappear for three weeks at a time. It is hard to feel like you belong much anywhere when you have that every day in your life.

The other thing about trucking is that you drive by some of the most interesting places and things on earth and yet you cannot get your truck into those places to have real experiences there. Sometimes, it works out where you can park right there and go right in or park a block or two away. Those incidences are really not the rule however. The reality is that communities want our goods and services, but do not really want us to be able to experience real life because it is somehow inconvenient to have us around. Truck drivers are really looked at as the necessary evil. We need their products and yet want little to do with the inconvenience of having them actually park their trucks and wander around in our perfect little communities. We certainly want the income that can be available as long as it is convenient for us to get it. We just do not want strange people that we do not know coming into our stores and restaurants and being, well, you know, strange? The people driving trucks are the same as most everyone else but are hamstrung by the size of their conveyance. In Lisbon, ND there is a rule that does not allow a truck to park on a residential street. The funny thing is that there are quite a few people that drive trucks for a living. I wonder how often it is, that an ordinance is so easily passed into law that restricts one segment and only one segment of society for the supposed greater good. I can bet that the people on the city council do not drive trucks for a living. Perhaps if they did, the ordinances would be a bit more progressive. Just some thoughts I guess, I have been getting rather lax about my entries and figured I would add some non thought provoking content. The funny thing about Lisbon is, there are towns that are much more stringent. The only signs not in some of these towns is, "get the hell out" Dedication;/

No comments: